Question? Problem? Need Help? Dial 3-1-1

Learn how SWEEP keeps Philadelphia clean through education and enforcement.
Learn about the Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee (PMBC), and what they are doing to keep our streets clean and safe.
COVID-19 Service Updates

Street Event Application Guide (Formerly, Block Party App.)


Block Party Permits

How can I get a block party application?   

To request by mail, contact Streets Department Customer Affairs at (215) 686-5560 between 8:30 am- 5:00 PM. 

To pick up in person, visit Streets Department's Right of Way Unit: Municipal Service Building, 1401 J.F.K. Blvd., Room 960 between 9AM – 2PM, 215-686-5500/01.  

Online: to download from the Streets Department's internet site click here.

Do I need permission from the Police Department to close a street?  

Yes, street events require local Police District approval to close the street to traffic.  This allows applicants to be informed in advance if their block is approved to be closed to traffic prior to providing payment for the permit and booking ancillary items such as food, music and other party-related activities. Local Police District approval is required before the Streets Department begins processing the request.

Applicants may apply:

Online - Applications submitted through the online process are sent directly to the local Police Districts for approval. Once approved by Police, the system sends the applicant an email requesting payment and awaits Streets Department approval.

Paper applications - (in-person or by mail) may be submitted with or without a Police Pre-Approval Form. Applications without the Police pre-approval form will be entered into the system by the Streets Department and Police will be notified automatically. Applicants will be notified within five days of submitting an application of its outcome and can select to be notified by email or mail.

Are there particular streets in Philadelphia that can't be used for street events?  

Yes. Arterial streets cannot be closed for street events.

What are reasons the Streets Department would deny a request for a street event, aside from an applicant not having the required number of signatures from neighbors?  

Street closures for block parties may impact mass transit, such as, trolley routes, trackless trolley routes, or multiple bus routes.  We also identify blocks on which there have been problems in the past such as Police activity or failure to abide by the terms and conditions of the permit.  Permit denials also occur when there are conflicts with construction. 

Do I need a signed petition to have block party?

Yes. There must be a signed petition for each date and each block. Signatures from at least 75% of the residents on the block must be on the petition. Only one signature per household will be accepted, and no photocopies of signatures will be accepted. 
Do I need petitions for "T" streets intersecting my block?

Yes. If there are any "T" streets, a petition for those blocks must also be included with your block party application. 
May I block my street off for the event?

Yes, but vehicles may not be used to block off the street since emergency vehicles may need to enter the street. 
Can the City provide me with barricades?  

No. The Police and Streets Departments do not provide barricades for a block party. It is recommended that the residents purchase yellow "caution" tape to block off the street, if needed. 
Is there a fee for having a block party?

Yes. $25.00 per day per block. The fee must accompany your application. For security reasons, only checks or money orders made out to the "City of Philadelphia" can be accepted. 

Is there a deadline for sending in a block party application to the Highway Division's Right of Way Unit?

Yes. A minimum advance notice of twenty-one (21) calendar days is necessary to obtain the approved permit in time to coordinate the closing of the street. There will be an increased fee of $45 if a block party request is made less than 21 days before an event.

When will I know when my application is approved?  

You should receive your block party permit within two (2) weeks prior to the event. If the permit is not received by that time, call 215-686-5500. 
Are procedures the same for religious events?  

What are the major summer holidays block party applications are approved for?  

Click here to see approved Holidays