Question? Problem? Need Help? Dial 3-1-1

Learn how SWEEP keeps Philadelphia clean through education and enforcement.
Learn about the Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee (PMBC), and what they are doing to keep our streets clean and safe.


Individuals may pickup a recycling bin at any Sanitation Convenience Center during business hours*, Monday through Saturday. Only one container per person. Please call first for availability. Click here to find a location.

Residents may also use any sturdy container 32 gallons or less marked with the word “RECYCLING”. 

Community Groups and Block Captains may contact us at [email protected] or 311 to request that SWEEP officers give out bins at events.

*From October 1 through March 31 all locations are open Monday through Saturday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. From April 1 through September 30 all locations are open Monday through Saturday between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Roadways Sanitation Other



ADA Ramp Request

The Streets Department, in collaboration with the Mayor’s Commission on People with Disabilities, has partnered to identify ADA curb ramp locations that need upgrades and locations where there is a specific need for a ramp to be installed for the community of people with disabilities. If you would like to submit a location, click the button below. Please provide detailed information on the location. If you have problems using this website, please call 3-1-1. Upon submission of this request, a Cityworks Request ID will be assigned for your records. All ADA curb ramp requests will be investigated through a review process and a determination will be made based upon greatest need.

Sewer Inlets/Flooding

Please contact the Water Department at 215-685-6300 for sewer inlet cleaning and flooding problems.

Pothole/Street Defects

In 2006, the Streets Department launched an aggressive and innovative initiative to improve the quality of roadways in Philadelphia. Through Operation Smooth Streets, the City of Philadelphia provides an improved roadway maintenance schedule, extending the life cycle of roads and an improved quality of life for citizens. The focus of this strategy is to provide a targeted and heavy attack on roadway street defects resulting in less long-term degradation damage of the street surface.

Snow Information

Our Highways Division is the primary response team during snow and ice events. The Division uses Snow Response to identify various categories of weather conditions and indicates the City’s response to each category.

For information on Snow Response, click below or call 3-1-1.

Pavement Markings

Our Traffic Division is responsible for pavement markings which help to direct traffic safely and efficiently. To request a pavement marking, please fill out the form below. 


Traffic control signs are designed to direct, inform, prohibit, and warn vehicles of possible danger. To report a missing traffic control or street name sign, or to make another traffic control sign request, please fill out the information below. School Flashers are considered traffic control signs so should be entered on this form.

  • Request a ‘Curb Your Dog’ or “No Littering’ sign: Contact PMBC at 215 685-3981.
  • Request temporary ‘No Parking’ sign: Contact 215 686-5525.

Traffic Signals

Traffic signals are signaling devices used to control the flow of traffic at intersections. These signals use red, yellow and green lights to direct traffic. These signals are not to be confused with School Flashers which are considered school signs and should be reported on the Signs form.

Street Lights

The Department replaces bulbs in street lights (lights adjacent to City streets) and alley lights. If you are reporting a problem with an alley light, please be sure to have any alley gates unlocked and be sure there is a clear path to the light fixture.

Utility Covers (manholes)

Manhole/utility covers are heavy metal plates used to gain access to utilities and keep unauthorized individuals out. If the manhole cover is missing, it is very important that it is replaced as soon as possible to prevent auto accidents or personal injury.


Street Cleaning Request

The Streets Department provides Mechanical Broom Services on established Commercial Corridor Routes only. The Broom runs along the curb line of the street and sweeps up the debris and litter. Requests for this service should only be entered for established routes.

The Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee (PMBC) promotes civic pride and public safety by empowering you and your neighbors to volunteer to clean and beautify your community. For Residential Cleanup Assistance, cleaning supplies and brown bags are distributed to block captains of organized blocks registered with PMBC. To submit a PMBC related request, please provide the necessary information.

Dead Animal Removal

If you would like to report a dead animal in the street, please enter the location below. The Streets Department will not pick up dead animals from private property.

Sanitation Code Violation

Sanitation violations are addressed by our SWEEP Officers who educate citizens about their responsibilities under the Sanitation Code and cite violations.  SWEEP Officers primarily address litter issues, dumpster violations, seasonal sanitary and safety issues, along with other solid waste issues on the street or walkway.  Sanitary violations that occur within the premises such as sewer/drainage problems, trash in a rear yard or alley that is not visible from the street/sidewalk,  or businesses illegally operating should be submitted to the Department of License & Inspections.

Condominium or Coop Collection

The Sanitation Division now offers once per week rubbish and recycling collection to condominiums and cooperatives throughout the City. If you are interested in receiving collection service for your condominium or cooperative, please provide the following information and you will be contacted by a representative.

Appliance/Bulk Pickups

Effective January 1, 2009, the Streets Department no longer accepts the following items as part of curbside collection:

  • Automotive tires
  • Furniture with metal frames, which our trucks cannot compact (convertible sofa beds, office chairs, filing cabinets, etc.)
  • Appliances (stoves, refrigerators, washing machines, hot water heaters, etc.)

Those items will have to be disposed of through a private hauler. Residents may continue to set out compactable furniture, such as sofas, mattresses, box springs, etc., for collection at curbside, up to two items per week.

Recycling Information

Make sure your recycling bin ONLY includes acceptable materials, such as clean, empty containers and packages. And make sure you don’t put your recyclables in plastic bags or put plastic bags in your bin.

Recycling Bins

  • Individuals may pickup a recycling bin at any Sanitation Convenience Center between the hours of 8am - 6pm, Monday through Saturday. Only one container per person. Please call first for availability. Residents may also use any sturdy container 32 gallons or less marked with the word “RECYCLING”.
  • Community Groups and Block Captains may contact us at 215-686-5595 to request additional buckets.

Recycling Pickup

Illegal Dumping Report

  • This form should be used to report illegal dumping on streets and sidewalks only. Using this form for other types of illegal dumping will delay action on your request.
  • If you would like to report illegal dumping on private property please contact 311.
  • If you have specific information of a person who is illegally dumping, please contact the appropriate Philadelphia Police District and ask for the Code Violation Notice (CVN) trained officer. If possible, please provide a description of the vehicle and plate information such as licensing state and tag number. You can use Citymaps to find the Philadelphia Police District.

Rubbish Pickup

Household Rubbish and Recycling are collected throughout the day. If you did not receive collection on your scheduled collection day and your setout is within the regulations of the Sanitation Code, please submit your request after 7pm on or after your scheduled collection day.

Waste Baskets, including solar-powered receptacles, are for pedestrians to dispose of litter. Disposal of household waste in pedestrian waste baskets is a violation of the Sanitation Code. If you have a waste basket service request, please provide the necessary information.


If you wish to report a Sanitation Code Violation, such as early or improper set-out please use the Sanitation Code Violation form to enter your request.

Lot Cleanup

The Streets Department does not clean lots.

  • Request a lot cleanup, contact the Managing Director’s Vacant Lot Program at 215-686-0000.
  • Report the owner of a neglected property, contact Licenses & Inspections at 215-686-2463.

Household Hazardous Waste

Handling and disposing of hazardous waste materials requires a special set of regulations due to the potential damage they can cause to people, pets and the environment. It is important to follow the hazardous waste disposal methods the City provides for the materials listed here.

Leaf Collection Schedule

The Leaf Collection and Recycling Program is one of several services provided by the Streets Department to honor the City’s on-going commitment to recycling.

Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee (Block Captains)

The PMBC Program is a partnership between the City, your neighbors and you to keep your block clean. If your neighborhood decides to participate in creating a cleaner block, you can organize and elect a Block Captain to make it happen.

Trash & Recycling Schedule

Find the pickup day for your neighborhood.


Alleyways/Common Driveways

Alleyways and common driveways are considered private property and all repairs are the responsibility of the adjacent property owners. The Department’s Street Lighting Division does, for safety reasons, replace light bulbs in alleyway fixtures.


  • If you have a problem with a Street Tree contact the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation at
    215-683-0200. Street Trees include trees in public parks and trees in public rights-of-way (like sidewalks or the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street).

  • Trees on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. Please contact Licenses and Inspections at 215-686-2463 for more information on the property owner’s responsibilities. This includes trees growing in alleyways.

Telephone Number

For all City services dial 3-1-1 from 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. 

Keep Philadelphia Beautiful

Keep Philadelphia Beautiful assists communities in the improvement of the physical and visual aspects of neighborhood environments.

Other Street Closing Permits

Block Party Permits

Other Requests

Submit A Request Type Not Listed Above:

Contact Us

Our Customer Service Agents are available 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. For all City services dial 3-1-1.